The type and number of self-employment (Lavoro Autonomo) authorizations available to non-European Union (EU) nationals in Italy are set by a quota decree (decreto-flussi). Not all self-employment categories are available each year.
To qualify, the self-employed person must:
- Have suitable accommodation in Italy;
- Have financial resources exceeding the minimum level set by the law for exemption from the healthcare contribution (8,500 euros);
- Obtain a police clearance (Nulla Osta) in Italy;
- Have certificates, documents, or attestations as required for the type of self-employment activity to be performed. Applicants must meet the legal requirements for performance of the activity, including, when required, prerequisites for entering into professional registers.
Some categories of self-employment visas are issued outside the quota decree (e.g., translators and interpreters, university professors, lecturers, managers in an intra-company framework).
- “Italy Self-Employment Visa,” Mazzeschi, https://www.mazzeschi.it/italy-self-employment-visa/
- “Self-Employment Visa for Entrepreneurs Intending to Implement an Investment Plan in Italy,” Mazzeschi, https://www.mazzeschi.it/self-employment-visa-for-entrepreneurs-intending-to-implement-an-investment-plan-in-italy/