This article provides an overview of policies and procedures related to the novel coronavirus/COVID-19 outbreak in various countries, as of late March. The article includes brief updates on European Union Member States and the U.S. borders with Canada and Mexico, followed by country-by-country summaries. The situation is rapidly evolving day by day, and many countries are escalating restrictions on travel, borders, airports, and ports. Before traveling, check with the country of destination and the airline about what measures are being enforced.
European Union Member States
EU Member States have implemented various measures and restrictions for coping with the coronavirus crisis. A link to each country’s website with travel advice and indications, as of March 18, 2020, is at https://www.mazzeschi.it/mazzeschi-asiadesk/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/travel-advice-list.pdf. See also https://ec.europa.eu/transparency/regdoc/rep/1/2020/EN/COM-2020-115-F1-EN-MAIN-PART-1.PDF
U.S. Borders with Canada, Mexico
President Trump and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau agreed to close the U.S.-Canada border as of March 18, 2020, to “non-essential traffic,” such as recreation and tourism, for an indefinite period. President Trump tweeted that “[t]rade will not be affected,” and workers who live on one side and work on the other are expected to continue traveling across the border for work. Similarly, the United States and Mexico are limiting nonessential travel across the border, with exceptions.
- Washington Post, “Trump, Trudeau Agree to Close U.S.-Canada Border to ‘Nonessential’ Traffic,” https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/trump-trudeau-us-canada-border-coronavirus/2020/03/18/90a27da8-6924-11ea-b199-3a9799c54512_story.html
- The Guardian, “Trump Announces U.S.-Canada Border Traffic Closed to ‘Nonessential’ Traffic,” https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/18/us-canada-border-closed-non-essential-traffic
- Washington Post, “Americans, Canadians Scramble to Get Home Before Border Largely Shuts Down,” https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/americans-canadians-scramble-to-get-home-before-border-largely-shuts-down/2020/03/20/bd997a20-6a4e-11ea-b199-3a9799c54512_story.html
- S.-Mexico border restriction notice, https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2020-06253.pdf
- Al Jazeera, “U.S. Border Closings,” video news report, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdv8ga_lP48