Avi Friedman, a partner in the Los Angeles office, was named both the 2014 and 2016 Los Angeles Immigration Law “Lawyer of the Year” by U.S. News-Best Lawyers®. He was also listed in the 2015 Who’s Who Legal rankings for his excellent in-person attorney/client representation at U.S. consular posts in Canada and Mexico. Mr. Friedman served five terms on the AILA Department of State Liaison Committee (2014-2016 and 2007-2010) and is also the current AILA Canada Chapter Liaison to the U.S. Embassy in Ottawa, Canada. He served eleven terms as the Consular Affairs Liaison for the Southern California Chapter of AILA. He has authored numerous articles for AILA including: several chapters for the “Visa Processing Guide”; Third-Country National (TCN) and Consular Processing of Non-immigrant Visa Applications in Mexico and Canada: Practice Advisory; Nonimmigrant Waivers of Inadmissibility under INA 212(d)(3); “DOs” and “DON’Ts” for Attorneys Representing Visa Applicants (and for Consular Officers, too!); Nonimmigrant Visa Processing In Canada or Mexico Remains The Best Option for Third Country Nationals; and NIV Consular Processing – Truth and Consequences. He is also a frequent speaker on consular/visa issues and waivers at AILA and NAFSA conferences.
Mr. Friedman continues to assist applicants with non-immigrant visa applications at U.S. consular posts worldwide. He focuses on in-person attorney/client representation at U.S. consular posts in Canada and Mexico. He also handles family-based immigrant petitions, naturalization applications, investor visa applications, and J-1 Waivers and immigrant and non-immigrant petitions for international medical graduate physicians.
Mr. Friedman is listed in Who’s Who of Corporate Immigration Lawyers as an “outstanding” lawyer, an “expert on consular issues” and a “highly rated inclusion” to the Wolfsdorf firm. In the 2010 California Edition of the Who’s Who of Corporate Immigration Lawyers, Mr. Friedman was described as “an active speaker within AILA and has cultivated ‘a superb reputation‘ among peers and clients.” Mr. Friedman was also listed in The Southern California Super Lawyers from 2010-2014.
Awards & Recognition
– Who’s Who Legal’s 2020 Thought Leader in Corporate Immigration
– Los Angeles Immigration Law “Lawyer of the Year” by U.S. News-Best Lawyers (2014, 2016)
– Super Lawyers (2010-2014)
– Best Lawyers’ Recognition (2010, 2021)
Articles, Publications, & Speaking Engagements
– American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) “Trends in Nonimmigrant Visa Adjudications Around the World 2016” “The Role of the National Visa Center 2015” “Guiding Clients Through Successful Immigrant Visa Processing 2012”
– AILA Department of State Liaison Committee (2014-2017 and 2007-2010)
– AILA Canada Chapter Liaison to the U.S. Embassy in Ottawa, Canada (2015-2016)
– AILA S. California Chapter, Consular Affairs Liaison (2003 – 2015)